Best Bible Studies for Women
One of the most important parts of any Christian woman’s walk is studying the Bible. Engaging with scripture helps us understand the role of God in our everyday lives, making it an important aspect of growing in our faith. One of the best ways to engage is through a Bible study book that guides you through a specific Biblical book or theme, providing deeper insight than you might otherwise glean.
There are many wonderful studies out there designed specifically with women in mind to encourage them to read with God’s word every day. These Bible studies to help women grow on their journey with Jesus and come alongside them as they live into their vocations as women of God. With all the options on the market, we break down everything you need to know to choose the right Bible studies for women. Whether your are looking for a study guide to go through on your own, or one perfect to walk through in community with your small group, we’ve got you covered!
What to Look for in a Bible Study
The first step of selecting the right Bible study for women is to know what kind of content you’re looking for. Many study books include a number of tools and resources that are meant to help you discover something profound during your devotional time. There are a wide variety of different options depending on your focus and learning style. To help you choose the best one for you, we go through what you want to look for in quality Bible studies and devotionals.
- Find one written by an author you like. An author that you enjoy reading can provide you with insights and questions that feel relevant and helpful. Authors have a habit of using a similar tone or style throughout their writings, so if you find someone whose style you like, reading a new study can be more familiar and approachable. Are you already a fan of Beth Moore? Try one of the Bible studies for women she’s put out! You will be much more likely to be engaged in the readings.
- Research the author. As you set out to find an author you connect with, it is helpful to gain some understanding of her or his personal context. There are many different denominations and perspectives; you may want someone who comes from a similar background or tradition as you do. Or, perhaps, you might want to learn from an author approaching God's word from a different denomination.
- Choose a study book by topic. The Bible provides teachings and lessons covering a wide array of topics. Depending on what you want to focus on--for instance, joy, hope, the words of Jesus, etc.--there are guides that emphasize those specific topics within the scripture. You can also select a study book that focuses on a single book of the Bible--say, a study of Esther. These kinds of Bible studies allow you to delve deeply into one area of scripture that you may have been looking to grow more familiar with.
- Functionality. This is an important aspect when looking for a Bible study since ultimately you want the book to assist in your Bible learning. Deciding to study the Bible can be a large commitment that requires a bit of time. Are you looking for a morning devotional or study to spend 10 minutes a day engaging with God? Or do you want something more in-depth, to devote several hours to? Think through how the studies you select will help you to meet your individual study goals.
- Teaches you to study on your own. While a Bible study that lays out everything for you is nice, it is important to be able to do your own spiritual reflection and application in your own life. Bible studies that teach you the foundations and guide you to your own reading and exploration can help you draw closer to God in the long run.
In addition to finding a Bible study guide to supplement your education, remember to also have your own Bible, such as this complete collection from Alabaster, so that you can form a deep relationship with Jesus as you further your education.
Top Picks for Bible Studies for Women
This Bible study book is a 52-week guide that helps women gain discipline in reading God's word. This is a great book for beginners that are struggling to figure out how to get started. The guide helps you through the whole Bible in a year and features a daily reading plan as well as a weekly reflection. The book focuses on women’s faith and works with any translation of the Bible. This interactive study comes with thought-provoking questions, journaling prompts, and prayers to guide you through the scripture. If you are a woman looking to start out your journey in growing your faith, this guide lays it all out for you.
- Provides adequate direction
- Focuses on application to life
- Equips women to study the Bible independently
- Meant to be only a year-long study
This study is packed with incredible content from several inspiring voices. With study sections written by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, Kelly Minter, Jen Rothschild, and Lisa Harper, you can be sure to discover something in this book. It takes a close look at five key figures from the Old Testament of the Bible whom God uses for His purposes to save and preserve His people. From their examples, this study aims to show us how we can more fully live our lives out of our love for God. This study can be read individually, but there are also a plethora of supplemental materials (like video and online content) designed to help you lead this study in your small group.
- Five well-renowned authors
- Great for a small group or women’s Bible study
- Dive deep into Old Testament character studies.
- Designed primarily for spiritual beginners
- Compliation of other studies
This Bible study book is written by Priscilla Shirer, a renowned Bible teacher, and is one of her many study books designed to help you open yourself up to hear the word of God. This Bible study features stories and illustrations to help women to understand scripture more deeply. It focuses on daily communication with God and sets the foundation for you to strengthen your relationship with Him. Designed to be completed over 3 months, this study is great for any woman looking to start her day in the Word. There are exercises that help to apply your lessons after studying. If you enjoy any of Priscilla Shirer’s books, this is a must-read for women looking to grow their relationship with God.
- Well-known author
- Focuses on relationship with God
- Should be read in conjunction with other devotionals and Bible studies
- Paper quality is a bit flimsy
There are a number of studies that can help guide Christian women as they engage with scripture. Depending on your focus, there will be Bible studies for women that fit your exact wants and needs. With all the options on the market, make sure to choose one that can help you grow into a closer relationship with Jesus and a better understanding of the truth of God's word.