Studying the Bible is an integral part of godly life as a Christian man. Engaging with scripture helps us understand the role of God in our everyday lives, making it an important aspect of growing as a Christian. One of the best ways to engage is through a Bible study book that guides you through a specific Biblical book or theme, providing deeper insight than you might otherwise glean.
There are many awesome Bible studies out there designed specifically with men in mind to encourage them to engage with God’s word every day. These men’s Bible studies help many men deepen their relationships with Jesus and come alongside them as they live into their vocations as husbands, fathers, and men of God. With all the Bible study options on the market, we break down everything you need to know to choose the right men’s Bible study for you. (See also best Bible Study Books For Women.)
What to Look for in a Bible Study
The first step of selecting the right men's Bible study is to know what kind of great content you’re looking for. Many study books include a number of tools and resources that are meant to help you make connections. There are a wide variety of different options depending on your focus and learning style. To help you choose the best one for you, we'll go through what you want to look for in quality Bible studies and devotionals.
- Find one written by an author you like. An author that you enjoy reading can provide you with insights and questions that feel relevant and helpful. Authors have a habit of using a similar tone or style throughout their writings, so if you find someone whose style you like, reading a new study can be more familiar and approachable. You will be much more likely to be engaged in the readings.
- Research the author. As you set out to find an author you connect with, it is helpful to gain some understanding of her or his personal context. There are many different denominations and perspectives; you may want someone who comes from a similar background or tradition as you do. Or, perhaps, you might want to learn from an author approaching scripture from a different denominational perspective.
- Choose a study book by topic. The Bible provides teachings and lessons covering a wide array of topics. Depending on what you want to focus on—for instance, forgiveness, prayer, the words of Jesus, etc.—there are guides that emphasize those specific topics within the scripture. You can also select a study book that focuses on a single book of the Bible—say, a study of John or the Book of Romans. These kinds of men's Bible studies for men allow you to delve deeply into one area of scripture that you may have been looking to grow more familiar with.
- Functionality. This is an important aspect when looking for a Bible study since ultimately you want the book to assist in your Bible learning. Studying the Bible can be a large commitment that requires a bit of time. Are you looking for a morning devotional or study to spend 10 minutes a day engaging with God? Or do you want something more in-depth, to devote several hours to? Think through how the Bible studies you select will help you to meet your individual study goals.
- Cultivates study habits. While a guide that lays out everything for you is nice, it is important to be able to do your own spiritual reflection and application in your own life. Men's Bible studies that teach you the foundations and guide you to your own reading and exploration can help you draw closer to God in the long run.
In addition to finding a Bible study book to supplement your education, remember to also have your own Bible to refer to, such as this complete collection from Alabaster, so that you can form a deep relationship with Jesus as you further your education.
Top Picks for Men’s Bible Study Books
Designed to help you hold onto God even in the face of life’s challenges, this Bible study is perfect for most men looking to strengthen in their journey of faith. The study is broken into small approachable pieces, enabling you to spend a few minutes each day digging into the God's Word. Stand Strong includes reflections and practical advice from 19 different men, connecting you to fellow brothers in Christ and inviting you to learn from their perspectives and experiences with the Holy Spirit.
- Makes it easy for men to spend 5 minutes a day in the Word
- Addresses a number of issues and topics with spiritual and practical advice
- Designed for beginners, content may be too basic for some
- Should be read in conjunction with other books
This devotional by Timothy Keller centers around the Book of Proverbs to offering insights into what it means to live our lives the way that God intends. Formatted with one reading for each day of the year, this is a resource that you can go back to multiple times to continue to cultivate a deeper, more fulfilling relationship with God. This study gives you the best of both worlds—a topical focus on Biblical wisdom, grounded in a closer study of the book of Proverbs.
- Helps to tie everything together
- Designed to be read a little bit each day
- Strong focus on one book of the Bible
- Very compact; print may be too small for some
This Bible study book is written by Priscilla Shirer, a renowned Bible teacher, and is one of her many study books designed to help you discern and learn the word of God. This Bible study features stories and illustrations to help to understand scripture more deeply. It focuses on daily communication with God and sets the foundation for you to strengthen your relationship with Him. There are exercises that help to apply your lessons after studying. This Bible study is perfect for use individually or together within your church's small group. Shirer also has video content available that can add a lot of enrichment when used in conjunction with this devotional.
- Well-known author
- Focuses on relationship with God
- Many additional resources available for use in groups
- Equips you for your own study of scripture
- Should be read in conjunction with other devotionals and Bible studies
There are a number of resources that can help guide men as they engage with scripture. Depending on your focus, there will be Bible studies that fit your exact needs and likes. With all the options on the market, make sure to choose one that can help you grow into a closer relationship with God and a better understanding of the truth of His teachings.